Chemist I-Chemistry Lab
This position assists in maintaining the cleanliness of the laboratory, the organization of supplies, reagents and standards. Additionally, this position provides a backup for the daily calibration and/or verification of the balances and pH meter when the Lab Technician is unavailable. The employee will have basic knowledge of commonly used laboratory concepts, practices, procedures and instrumentation and will perform tests commensurate with skill level with some supervision. This is a safety sensitive position as defined by state and federal laws that will require working with hazardous materials and/or handling medicine. As a "safety sensitive" classification, you will be subject to drug and alcohol testing, including random testing. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of the laboratory.
- Assists in maintaining inventory of solvents, reagents, supplies and standards and notifies appropriate personnel when such items must be replenished.
- Assists in physically removing expired reagents and standards and ensures their removal from the electronic inventory system.
- Performs daily calibration of the analytical balances and pH meter in the absence of the Lab Technician.
- Washes glassware in the absence of the Lab Technician.
- Prepares solutions and/or mobile phases as needed under supervision.
- Performs all testing not requiring proficiency testing.
- Becomes proficient for testing of IR and UV techniques.
- Performs monthly, annual and bi-annual instrument validations as necessary.
- Provides proper documentation for all testing performed.
- Provides peer review of laboratory notebooks.
- Maintains work list such that samples are tested within completion requirements.
- May be required to assist in outsourcing samples to appropriate vendors.
- May be required to assist in ordering of reagents and supplies as needed.
- May be required to become proficient in HPLC or GC techniques.
- May be required to mentor new Lab Technician
- Ability to wear, maintain, and properly use appropriate safety equipment, including, but not limited to eye protection, gloves, and lab coat.
- Adherence to all ARL Bio Pharma safety standards, policies, procedures, and protocols
- Communication Proficiency.
- Organizational skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Collaboration Skills.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a laboratory environment. Attendance at the office is required.
While performing the duties of the job the employee is frequently exposed to toxic or hazardous chemicals. The employee will be required to wear all appropriate safety equipment including but not limited to eye protection, gloves, and lab coat. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position often requires standing for prolong periods of time; dexterity in fingers and hands to perform complex and precise manipulations; ability to walk and stood; ability to lift and move up to 50 lbs; see in the normal visual range including the ability to distinguish colors and shades and hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
No travel is required for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- An associate degree in chemistry or related science with 2+ years industrial experience OR
- A bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related science with 0-2 years industrial experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related science with 1-2 years’ experience in the Pharmaceutical industry
ARL Bio Pharma, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetics or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. ARL Bio Pharma, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetics or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Improper interference with the ability of ARL Bio Pharma, Inc. employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees are treated without regard to any of these characteristics.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.